Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Photo Recognition

Out of 6003 submissions for an online National Geographic assignment these two photographs (three submissions max allowed) were selected as Favorites by the National Geographic editor handling the story.

Above: Snow Geese in Snow Squall: I could only hear the snow geese at first. They landed in a corn field on the other side of a small hill. I crested the hill and took cover behind some grain wagons. Without warning this gaggle of geese, in one sudden, singularly orchestrated movement took flight. The sound of a thousand pair of wings lifting the geese into flight under their piercing honks and calls eerily muffled by the heavy snow fall made for a highly charged atmosphere!

Above: Ocean of Clouds: The alarm went off at 3am for my predawn hike to the peak of Cascade Mountain in the High Peaks Wilderness region of Adirondack State Park. It was an extremely damp climb through dense fog and I questioned whether I would have any views at all. Upon summiting I was greeted with this serene scene of clouds rolling in slow motion like waves through the valleys below.

No comments:

Post a Comment